Welcome to WAKE.SG
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise be a member for free today!

Photo

Funbox Transfers

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

David Ngiam

David Ngiam

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,911 posts
Transfers

Author : David Ngiam

Transfer are any move where you ride on one rail and transfer to another rail. For a Funbox transfer, that usually means riding up the table top section and hopping on to the higher A-Frame section.

Mark Griffen was the one who first helped me out with the transfers. For the longest time, I told myself that I would only try a transfer only after I manage to gap the flat section of the Funbox table top, Afterall, if I couldn't even do that, what are the chances of making a transfer, right?

Well, I was convinced by Mark that the transfer was a totally different beast. For gapping, you basically pop and land on the same rail, thus your approach, while it may be agressive at first, you ride straight up and in line with the rail. So while you might get big air gaps, no matter how much more aggressive you go at it, you're not going to make a transfer, just bigger air gaps.

Not to say you don't need to learn how to gap first... you should. But its more for you to get use to popping and landing back on the rail. The difference for a Transfer is how you approach and ride up the uprail.

When you try a Transfer, its really a do or die kinda trick... pretty much like learning an air raley. You either put in 100% on the attempt or don't do it at all. There is no 50% effort for this trick. Its safer to bail out on a 100% effort than a 50% effort because you'll end up clipping the A-frame for a spectacular fall onto the rail. Which is not good. Plus you might damage the funbox for other riders.

For a transfer, you need to be aggressive on the approach. The difference between the gap and the transfer is that for the transfer, instead of lining up your approach straight on, you need to line it up at an angle as you go up the up-ramp. You basically aim straight for the flat section of the A-Frame. Thats a scary thought, considering that if you don't get air, you're going to crash right into the A-Frame. That is why you need to go at it 100%.

So, go at it like you are going for a big jump off a kicker. Aim for the bottom left of the up-ramp and ride it up at an angle (but not on edge) to the middle at the top of the up-ramp. To be on the safe side, if you cut in hard enough, you can afford to pop when you are three-quarters of the way up the up-ramp. This is to make sure you have enough room to clear the ledge on the A-Frame.

For your first attempt, you should try thinking of gapping over the whole A-Frame, instead of the transfer. Its better to be too much than too little. The worst case is that you'll bail and land in water, even if you do clip it (the momentum will carry you over the A-Frame). If you are clipping the A-Frame, make sure when you pop, you suck up your front knee, followed back your back knee (like an ollie) for more clearance. Or you might be riding up at too much of an angle and popping to close to the A-Frame's edge.

After a few attempts, you should be quite confortable with the approach, and its a matter of tweaking your approach to allow you to land nicely onto the A-Frame.

Photo : Brett Eisenhauer
Brett Eisenhauer

Video : Alex Bennett-Leat

Video requires Adobe Flash Player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users